Thursday 12 March 2009

Profiteering



http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7940515.stm





and





http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7612842.stm



The recent sale of Michael Jackson tickets has reminded me of 'bad' behaviour which really winds me up. That is profiteering on tickets - or ripping people off. I notice that on ebay within minutes of Jackson tickets going on sale someone was selling some for £10,000! If I had that much money I'd spend it on a new car not tickets! The face value of the tickets was £75 so I think it unreasonable to make a profit of over £9000. The most annoying thing is that these people only buy these tickets to sell on at a ridiculously inflated price leaving people who genuinely want to see concerts unable to get through to the phonelines/websites and unable to get tickets. I can understand if there is a genuine reason for reselling tickets but they should be sold at their face value with the money going to the artist (or in the case of the Hamlet tickets to the RSC which is a registered charity). I also think it is quite a reasonable price for the Jackson tickets - Madonna charges over £200 which is definately ripping fans off!

2 comments:

  1. This is something that winds me up as well! Especially if it is something you really want to go and see, and the only way is to pay way over the odds, because people who never really wanted to go have bought all the tickets!

    I agree that it is completely unreasonable to sell tickets for such a huge profit. I think there should be some kind of law to stop people being able to do it. They should definitely limit the amount of tickets an individual can buy, I’m not sure if they do this already?

    Then again if people are stupid enough to pay an obscene amount of money for something that retailed at far less than it's up to them. I certainly wouldn't!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If there are people (stupid people, clearly) to buy so expensive tickets, I don't see why the ones who re-sell them would prevent themselves from doing so, I think they really don't care about the poor guys who missed the opportunity to buy them at a reasonable price, and after all I can understand them, they're doing business, not charity... I'm not defending them but they can't be blamed for taking advantage of people's idiocy... Without buyers there would not be sellers.

    ReplyDelete