Thursday 12 February 2009

Smoking


I'm sure we all agree smoking is a 'bad' thing. Even I do and I'm a smoker! I know it is bad for my health but continue to do so. It's always been a social thing I think. Before in the pub all my friends smoked so I smoked to fit in. Now everyone has to go outside there is almost a camaraderie amongst strangers who can all moan about being made to brave the elements.
Smoking is generally accepted amongst adults and if I saw someone with a cigarette I probably wouldn't even notice. However on TV this week I watched a programme called Boys and Girls Alone (Channel 4 - http://www.channel4.com/programmes/boys-and-girls-alone) A social experiment in which children were left in a house free from adult supervision. Quite interesting to watch but one image stood out - and that was of a group of girls aged 8 to 10 pretending to smoke using toy cigarettes! I'm not sure I agree with the idea of encouraging children to smoke and having something that could kill you as a toy (although you could use that argument about toy guns, knives, bows and arrows etc.)
It got me thinking about how wrong (and 'bad') the idea of children smoking was. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/sussex/7883248.stm

No comments:

Post a Comment